Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tornados


I think tornadoes are interesting because they are big and they ruin a lot of stuff.  Tornado's form when big thunderstorms happen.  Warm air is pushed up by cold air, scientists don't know what happens after a super cell forms to make a tornado.  It's really weird that we don't know how they form. My mom helped show me  how thunderstorms form.  We put green food coloring in some water, in a big bowl (so we could see it).  Then we put blue ice cubes on the other side and watched the cold water (blue) push the warm water (green) up.  It's called convection.  It was cool to watch.

I like to watch this video, it has a lot of tornado's in different states.  In the USA we have the most tornado's in the world, especially in Tornado Alley.  Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, North Dakota and South Dakota get a lot!  They get a lot because the states don't have many mountains, just flat lands.  The states also get a lot of warm air and moisture from the ocean.

Even if a state has mountains it can still get tornado's.  In 1999 Salt Lake City had a little twister.  It happened downtown and did a little bit of damage.  They fixed it all up, but people were pretty surprised we had a little twister.  I really want to visit tornado alley with my Grandpa.  My Grandpa really wants to see a tornado in person and so do I!  So my mom said I can go when I'm older - like when I'm 18 or something.  Grandpa says he wants to see an F5 (that's the biggest, worstest tornado there is)  I think that would be kinda scary. Grandpa wants to get really close to them too, but he'll be older and won't be able to move fast, so we'll have to keep our distance. We'll keep to about 1 mile away.  We'll just move back when it gets close to us.  It will be a fun time!

Enjoy the video, it's one of my favorites.
~Noah~

No comments:

Post a Comment